Foundation / Corporation
The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia - Giving Circle of HOPE (GCH)
07/19/19 5:00 PM
Grants of up to $7,000 to Northern Virginia nonprofit organizations for capacity building and projects to improve the quality of life of disadvantaged, low-income, and underserved residents. Funding is intended for the following focus areas: health, aging, mental health, and poverty relief.
The GCH will award grants in two focus areas defined as follows:
1. Health, Mental Health, and Aging including: Crisis Services related to Abuse (e.g., Substance and Domestic Violence); Disabilities and Special Needs; Help the older population age in place and support older adults who are low income or vulnerable; Elderly Services, Mental Health; and Dental, Medical, and Pharmaceutical Services.
2. Poverty Relief including: English Language Proficiency and Literacy for Adults and Children; Ex-Offender Re-Entry; Eviction and Foreclosure Assistance; Housing and Shelter; and Job Training and Workforce Development.
Types of Grants
Applicants may submit a single application for either a Capacity Building Effort (CBE) Grant or a Project Grant:
1. CBE Grant. An activity that improves and enhances a nonprofit’s ability to achieve its mission and sustain itself into the future. Examples include, but are not limited to, developing a strategic plan, communications plan, IT strategy or plan; investments in technology; leadership succession planning; and a social media or marketing strategy. A request for a CBE must be for a deliverable in the GCH’s designated service area (i.e. Alexandria City, Arlington County, Falls Church City, Fairfax County; Loudoun County, Manassas Park/Manassas Park City, Prince William County, All Northern Virginia.)
2. Project Grant. A stand-alone activity that is not linked to a program or if linked to a program, demonstrates how the goals objectives and outcomes support those of the program.
Giving Circle of HOPE Gives Preference to:
- Utilize volunteers and leverage resources
- Work with and through multiple sectors (nonprofit, government, corporations, and individuals) to create more impact than they could on their own
- Demonstrate willingness to raise funds independently and in a variety of ways
- Have engaged and diverse boards (including members from the community, government, corporations & clients)
- Do more than give resources to their clients; they provide them with new tools, techniques or skills
- Have long-term impact on the population served
- Are based on proven models of effectiveness and then innovate to create better applications of those models
- Are creative, innovative and collaborative
Capacity Building Efforts that:
- Improve and enhance their ability to achieve their mission and sustain themselves into the future
- Strengthen their performance and impact on the community
- Provide more or better services to their clients
- Increase their visibility and outreach possibilities in the community
GrantWatch ID#: 174246
Grant requests may be up to $7,000 and the Project or CBE budget may not exceed $70,000, all of which requires documentation.
Projects or CBEs should be implemented in the time period between January 1, 2020 and achieve completion no later than December 31, 2020.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
If you have any questions, please contact GCH Grant Co-Chairs Karen Baer and Donna Whitaker at email@example.com or 703-665-9334.
The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia
2940 Hunter Mill Road, Suite 201
Oakton, VA 22124
USA: Virginia: Northern Virginia or in Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William counties, or in the cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, and Manassas/Manassas Park